Sunday, July 12, 2009

I lost a friend...

Just last night my mom called me with bad news....they took my dog Cabin into the vet and had her put to sleep. I cried. She was my first dog that was mine. And I mean I was solely responsible for her. Sure we had other dogs that were family dogs, but not Cabin she was mine. She first came to me as an 8 week old puppy. I was to raise her through the Guide Dogs for the Blind program in California. So we spent a year and a half training her to be a well behaved dog (the actual training for the blind is done by professionals). Since she was a part of this special program she got to go everywhere with me. She went on vacations, out to eat, shopping, really anything you can imagine. Then my time with her was up. I took her back to the center and they trained her. Well they tried to train her, they said she had "too much spirit and they didn't want to break her of it." Haha she was a crazy dog and loved people a little too much. So it was my choice if I wanted to keep her or let them adopt her out to a waiting family. So we kept her. We've had many wonderful years with her. My parents kept her when I moved to college and after college she was way too attached to my mom to ever take her away. So she lived out the remaining years with my wonderful parents. She was such a loving dog, but not in your face. Always wanting to be next to you. A little too smart for her own good! She has had a bad last year or so. Her back has given her a lot of trouble. She finally decided that she no longer wanted her medicine and no longer wanted to eat. My mom fed her one last bowl of ice cream and then took her to the vet. She is now out of her misery and as I would like to believe in doggy heaven running and eating to her hearts content. I love her and always will....



Cabin


7 comments:

Blair's said...

That is so sad.

Mallory said...

Now you're going to make me cry... I miss her too!

Lauren said...

so sorry. that is always sad when a family pet dies.

Emily said...

Sorry to hear about your dogs passing. Pets become like members of the family, if only their lifespan were as long as humans.

Martins said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I use to have one that looked similar. How is everything going? I'm excited to see some pictures of your new place. It will be fun to see what your up to.

sylvia said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. What would heaven be without our pets.

Baby Boomer Grammy said...

That's heartbreaking. Thanks for posting the photo of Cabin. she was a beautiful dog. I know how hard that must have been for your mom. I know how much you'll miss your old friend.