Friday, July 24, 2009

Goodbye Texas....Hello Minnesota cont.....

On Monday July 13 we packed the last little bit into our U-Haul and drove away from our Texas home. It was exciting to leave, but also a little sad to leave. We really liked our apartment there. It was our first home together and the place we brought baby Colby home to. Lots of memories were made in San Antonio and we're so grateful for the experiences we had there, the friends we made, and for having wonderful family close by. Surprisingly we were able to fit everything into the 14' U-Haul, we pulled the new car behind it and I drove the Xterra with Colby and the cats. Mark drove the U-Haul with Akira.


It was quite the adventure driving that whole way, but we made it. We spent three days on the road (though the first day we started driving at 3pm and the last day we got here around4pm). These are just some pics I snapped on the road trip.
Entering Minnesota...It was so crazy how as soon as we entered, the scenery changed completely. It went from flat plains to hills, trees, and lakes everywhere. It was such a pretty drive for those last few hours.
We are renting an old farm house for a few months while we look for a house to buy. The property is really nice, the house is old and could use some updates but it will work for now. The biggest disappointment was that the property manager told us that it was three bedrooms, but when we got here she was out owners showed us around and they told us not to go upstairs which is where two of the bedrooms are at. So basically we only have one room now. We've had some issues with the property manager, but the owners are nice. It's been an adventure living here and we're getting used to it. The biggest issue we've had is bats. The first night we were here I was going from the bathroom to the bedroom and looked back and saw a bat flying around! I freaked out. We almost packed up and left that night. The next day I did pack up and go to a hotel. The owners were still trying to get some things to work like the shower and hot water! So we spent one night in a hotel and then once those things were fixed we went back. There have been two other bats. One Callie (one of the cats) killed and we found it dead the next morning. I've never in my life been so grateful to have her as my cat. The one in the picture below we found during the day sleeping in our sink! Sick I know! So Mark trapped it under the bowl and threw it outside. Than I went and took pictures of it. I think it was in shock because it wouldn't fly away. It was just squeaking/hissing at me. It was pretty freaky, but we haven't seen anymore since the one that Callie killed. So hopefully we are done with that issue.
This is part of the property with a barn and garage.

This is the house with the same barn as the first picture.

So that's about it for now. We really enjoy Minnesota and the Bemidji area. It's so pretty here, with tons of lakes and trees. The weather is so nice. Mark is enjoying his job a lot and likes the people he works with. Overall we are doing good. Colby is growing up fast. He is almost 8 months and just got his first two teeth. I will try to get a picture of them soon. :)

13 comments:

Mallory said...

Dad told me about the bats! Crazy! I would have packed up and moved too... The house looks nice from the outside, but what a bummer about the upstairs bedrooms. Hopefully you guys can find another place soon. I'm glad you like it there. Can't wait to visit!

Beth said...

I hope the bats are gone forever...and that you're able to find a house to buy soon!!! I bet the scenery is beautiful, we will have to come visit.

Martins said...

Wow, you are having quite the adventures! Your house looks really cute, and I love the barn! What a change from San Antonio! I'm glad you updated your blog we have been wondering how you are. Thats great the Mark likes his job. Keep posting pictures for us!

Jessica said...

I've been waiting for you to post about the move. I love your place, it looks like such a fun place to live (minus the bats). Looks like it could be haunted . . . I would have freaked about the bats. Have fun!

Blair's said...

Wow!! What a photographers dream. Love it. Glad you guys are happy

sylvia said...

what a cool place to live. The bats definitely would have driven me out of my home. I get the willies just thinking about it. enjoy all of your new adventures!

JoEllen said...

You seriously can't beat the MN summers! The temperature...awesome! The bats...not so much. Hopefully, you'll be relocating soon. It's so nice when a cat's instinct kicks in. :) In TX our cat Oscar would bring us giant dead cockroaches from the garage. Talk about disgusting!

Josh, Shauna, Allison, Brynlee said...

Good luck on your new adventure!!! And i sure hope no more bats come around, YUCK!

Baby Boomer Grammy said...

The place has got character. Dad loves the red barn. We'd sure like to come out there before the cold weather sets in. (Mark, please seal up that gap the wood stove left!)P.S, we need to see some more Colby photos.

Emily said...

I'm glad ya'll made it there safely. The farm looks pretty, I bet Akira is having lots of fun exploring and running around. Hope you don't see any more bats!

Jill said...

I love your pictures, Courtney! What a cool place to live. And I'm glad you're enjoying the weather. That's crazy that you had bats though. Yikes!

The Porters said...

Hey we live in one bedroom lol. Only its in my parents basement. Oh well! Looks beautiful where you are atleast :) How did Colby do on the drive there? I hope he did great! Glad your cat took care of one of the bats. I think I would have packed up lol

Unknown said...

Fun times! I'm glad you guys are liking it! Farm house? totally cool! Colby is super cute!