Tuesday, September 27, 2011

House Stuff

Once again it's been forever since I updated.  We've just been busy with house stuff and I've been lazy.  So we ended up closing on our house on Aug 15th.  I took a new pic of it that day because I could.  :)  We moved in a few days later on the 19th.  We moved everything ourselves because yes we're crazy and we wanted to save some money and we hate asking people to help us.  So we rented a u-haul and did most of it that day.  We put almost everything in our garage at first because we knew we were going to be replacing all the flooring in the house (except the bathrooms).  So we didn't want to have to move everything twice.  So we slept on mattresses on the floor, Saige slept in her pack n play, and we were like  that for almost 3 weeks.  It took a little while for the carpet to be ordered and then installed.


We finally had new carpet through out the downstairs (living room and two bedrooms).  I love new carpet, it smells good and feels so soft.  Plus this carpet felt even better since the old stuff had no padding under it!  It was just put straight over concert floor.  But now we get to live with this:
We also got right to work ripping up the carpet upstairs and laying down new laminate flooring.  We started in Colby's room (see below) and then got the living room and our room finished up a little bit ago.  Mark did all of this himself on the weekends or after work.  But he did great and it looks awesome and we love it.  Well besides the fact that I feel the need to sweep all the time!  

Since we now have two living spaces to fill with furniture and we only had one at our old place we had to get a new couch.  We got this leather couch and we love it.  We saw it before we moved into the house and then thought about it for a month or so before finally going for it.  (I don't have a picture but the walls are no longer green in this room.  I didn't like the green against the couch so I painted them a soft grey, that has a little blueish tint to it in the evenings)

























I think one of the things we love most about this house is having a deck right off the kitchen.  It's so nice to have that extra living space.  We have eaten out there a few times and hope to enjoy it some more before the cold weather hits.  I love that I can send the kids out there to eat a snack and keep an eye on them.                                                     
Plus it helps that all we see off our deck is open land.  This land back here belongs to one of the neighbors but they just let it grow and then bale it up for hay.  (our property ends at those tallish weeds and the two pine trees on either side of this pic.)  And with all that open land we get to enjoy some wildlife.  We've seen more deer since moving here than we ever did at our old rental house which was farther out in the country and had tons of land around it.  Akira even got to have some fun one day and chased about three deer as they came through our land.  She was right on their tail too!

So far we are loving it here and are very happy with the house.  We love all the grass for the kids to play on, Akira loves all the space, and our street is not busy at all, so the kids ride bikes and play out front a lot too since the bikes are in the garage.  Even though we are technically in town it still takes me just as long to get to Target or the grocery store since we are on the complete opposite side of town.  But it's so much nicer living in a neighborhood.  People are always walking by, saying hi, waving as they drive by.

Anyways, that's a little update on us and the house.  I still don't have everything unpacked or organized, so it might be a while before I post any pics of the inside, unless you just want to see boxes stacked in a corner.  :)

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Emily said...

What a gorgeous view! The house looks so pretty. Can't wait to see more pics of the inside :)

Lauren said...

the deck is awesome! what an amazing view you have! i love the leather couch. where did you get it? looking forward to seeing more pics of the house!

Beth said...

I am so glad to hear that you are finally able to move your stuff in. And Yes I would like to see more pics even if there are boxes in the corners!! email them to me :)

Emily said...

Congratulations on the new house, it looks beautiful. Have fun decorating!

JoEllen said...

Oh Courtney, I'm so happy to see you in blogland again! I wish you had video of Akira chasing the deer! That would have been awesome!

I'm dying for a house with a deck. No clean up after snack? That would be super great!

Can't wait to see pictures of the inside. The new floors look amazing.

JustJon said...

Looks great! Congratulations!